If March comes in like a lion, it goes out like a lamb, according to the farmer’s almanac. In honor of lions, lambs and lovely spring weather, enjoy this March themed treasure hunt!
1. There are lots of lions depicted in the UMFA’s art. Lions often are used as symbols of power, majesty, guardians (Chinese and Japanese Art), Vishnu (Hindu Art), and Christ (Christian Art). How many lions can you find in the UMFA galleries? (Hint – the Guardian Lion pictured on this post is not currently on display, so keep looking).
2. Lambs can be symbols of purity, souls of ancestors (parts of Africa), righteous people (Chinese Zodiac), and Christ (Christian Art). You will have to look closely to find the lambs in the galleries. What is the name of the painting with lambs and sheep in the background?
3. Can you find a work of art that depicts the weather we had on March 1?
4. Can you find a work of art that (hopefully) depicts the weather we can expect on March 31?
5. Can you find a portrait of someone dressed appropriately for St. Patrick’s Day?